Injecting New Energy into Historic Buildings
Client: Green Building Store
Project: Showcase video to promote the pioneering work of Green Building Store, which embarked on a Passivhaus retrofit for its client, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
As green building methods go, Passivhaus sets the bar sky high. It’s the leading international low-energy building standard – and something that construction firm Green Building Store is extremely passionate about.
When Yorkshire Wildlife Trust was looking to transform a derelict cattle barn at Stirley Community Farm into an energy efficient educational centre, Green Building Store embarked on a pioneering Passivhaus retrofit. The creation of the Cre8 Barn sets a template for exemplary eco retrofits on other heritage buildings.
Our Role in the Project
Regen Media worked closely with Green Building Store to produce a video that would share this fascinating story with architects, builders and other professionals interested in cutting-edge, low-energy building techniques.
Regen Media used its expertise to provide services including developing creative concepts, script writing, filming and overall production on the video. The company also provided advice on how best to launch the video and build prolonged interest. Among the main messages that Green Building Store wanted to convey were:
- Raise interest in the EnerPHit Standard. While some construction professionals see a conflict between deep retrofit and heritage buildings, the client wanted to convey that the two can be perfect partners.
- Convey the company’s passion for this ground-breaking approach and why it’s so committed to it.
- Position itself as a thought leader in the industry and expand its reach to new clients who are interested in building or renovating in an energy-efficient way.
Regen Media worked with the company to develop a clear strategy for delivering these messages in an engaging and viewer-friendly way:
- It was important for Regen Media to convey the technical side of the build. By building a timber frame structure within the original masonry, Green Building Store had created a unique and exciting blueprint for the retrofit of other heritage buildings. It was crucial this pioneering work was showcased in an engaging way.
- At the same time, Regen Media needed to balance the technical side of the retrofit with telling an interesting story that would keep viewers interested.
- It was also important that the video had excellent production values that reinforced the business’s brand and values.
Challenges and Solutions
In producing the video, Regen Media tackled several challenges and delivered smart solutions:
- Regen Media was aware of the danger of over-burdening the video with complicated technical information at the expense of telling an interesting story.
From the early scripting stage, Regen Media decided to combine these technical details with the softer story of Stirley Community Farm and its promotion of green farming practices. Regen Media also used lots of visuals of the surrounding Yorkshire countryside to provide breathing space from the technical story itself.
- A familiar challenge when producing video and audio content is making sure those on camera remain relaxed and communicate in a natural way.
Regen Media ensured as few people as possible were within earshot during each interview. This created the right atmosphere for those on camera to relax and express themselves.
- For some people in the construction industry, deep retrofitting heritage buildings is a touchy subject. Regen Media needed to communicate the great attention to detail that is integral to a renovation of this type.
Regen Media used fascinating visuals of the Cre8 Barn before, during and after the retrofit and also used interviews with directors of Green Building Store to communicate their passion for the approach, all the technical elements of the build and their clear pride in the success of the project.
Green Building Store was delighted with the video that Regen Media produced. The company felt it supported its brand values, provided it with an excellent tool for promoting its business online and felt it gave them excellent value for money.
If you want to showcase your construction project to potential clients in a unique and captivating way, then Regen Media wants to work with you. Just give us a call or email us.